Sunday, June 10, 2012

Random Reflections

I did just about nothing today except read a bit of the crime novel I bought yesterday and do a little homework that I'd been procrastinating on. Since I have nothing else interesting to talk about, I figured I list a few of the small observations that I haven't included in other posts.

The Germans I've met really are more blunt than Americans. If they don't like your skirt, for example, they will say so. If you give the wrong answer in class, instead of saying "Mm, that's not it," the teacher will say "wrong." Personally, I prefer this. It might be a bit jarring at first, but it means that the opinion you're given is genuine. It also means that I don't have to worry so much about tact, which I've never been particularly good at.

American television and film is popular here to the point that it's difficult to find something on TV that isn't a dub. To be fair, I only have access to the basic channels. However, it was still a little surprising. It makes the shows slightly easier to follow from my point of view.

The sidewalks in Berlin are all cobblestone, and they almost all have a strip of reddish brick near the street, which is a bike path. I have a bad habit of forgetting that and having to leap out of the way of angry bicyclists. However, when I walk on the proper part of the sidewalk, I find it rather nice. I certainly prefer the stones to the boring cement slabs we have in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment