Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Goethe-Institut

Tests are almost always a bit stressful. Placement tests, in my opinion, are doubly so. Not only do you not really know what to study for, but doing too well can be just as bad as doing poorly. That said, the Goethe Institut placement test was extremely low key. It consisted of a multiple choice section, a timed essay, and an interview. After receiving the materials, I was told to just take a seat off to the side and time myself. Once I had finished, the multiple choice was scored in front of my and I proceeded to the interview section. I was terrified.

Tests offer insulation between myself and the grader. When I am taking the test, no one is looking over my shoulder scoring it. I can keep the entire process impersonal. Not so with an interview. Interviews are conversations where, for once, I can be 100% certain that the person I'm talking to is judging me. That's the interviewer's job after all.

Fortunately, the scary scenario where a man sits across from me frowning and demanding that I "describe myself" did not come to pass. Instead, a nice looking woman sat with me and asked me questions such as "How long have you studied German?" or "why Berlin?" or "What are your hobbies?" The answers I gave she recorded for my teacher to reference later. The fact that my answers were being put to use made all the difference. I was not trying to prove myself. I was simply filling out paperwork by proxy. Then, she scored my essay, explaining my mistakes and asking me for clarification when needed. It all seemed so relaxed that I was able to relax a bit myself.

Finally, after I received my final placement (which my interviewer fudged up a bit because she didn't think my multiple choice score was entirely representative of my abilities), I moved on to the table providing information on the cultural program. The woman gave me a map of Berlin, including U-Bahn and Straßenbahn plans, and a packet describing all of the events offered over the course of the four weeks. I have resolved to participate in as many free events as humanly possible. We'll see how well I can keep that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment