Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First Day

Today was the first day of proper classes. I am in the B 2.3 level, which is just shy of C 1.1. Fortunately, my classes meet in the afternoon from 1:15 to 5:45 (13:15 - 17:45), so I can sleep rather late. The only conflicting events are the cultural programs offered, which occasionally occur around 10 in the morning.

The class sizes varied depending on how many people tested into that level. In my case, there were supposedly 8 students. Only 5 of us showed up. Of those five, one was still in college. The others ranged from mid twenties to late forties, and none of us came from the same country. We spent the first two hours or so introducing ourselves and doing ice breaker activities. Then, we had a half hour break. During the break, water and juice were served and sandwiches and snacks were sold at relatively cheap prices. After the break, my class discussed a controversial monument being constructed to commemorate the German Reunification. Then, we had fifteen minute break and finally did a bit of grammar and received our homework. All in all, I believe I'm in the right class. The teacher is friendly and competent, I'm learning things I've never gone over before, and I do not feel left behind at all.

After classes ended, someone gave a quick talk open to all Goethe Institut students on life in Berlin. Apart from some practical information on transportation and the like, he reached the interesting stuff; food.


Everyone has heard of JFK's line "Ich bin ein Berliner", which inspired this blog's title. It is commonly thought that ein Berliner is a name for a popular jelly doughnut sold in Berlin. That is true for most of Germany. However, there is one place where it is not so named, and that is in Berlin itself. Here, it's simply ein Pfannkuchen, also the word for pancake.

Another Berlin classic is called Currywurst and consists of a bratwurst without a bun, often sliced, and topped with a sauce made primarily from catchup and curry powder. One of the most highly recommended Currywurst stands in the city just so happens to be a stone's throw away from where I'm living. I think I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment